We Invite You To Take The Pennsylvania State Sunday School Association’s
“Are You Smarter Than A Sunday School 5th Grader” Bible Quiz Challenge
Written by Rodney L. Pry
What do you know about the Bible? We challenge you to take our quiz to see what you know and if you are “smarter than a Sunday school 5th grader.” Read each question and then select your answer from the four multiple choices listed. We suggest that you select all of your answers and then check them against the correct answers. To see the correct answers, click on the "answers" bar at the bottom of this page.
1. How many books are there in the entire Bible?
a. 2 b. 40 c. 66 d. 144
2. On which day of creation did God create humans?
a. first b. fifth c. sixth d. seventh
3. God created Eve from what part of Adam’s body?
a. hand b. rib c. foot d. brain
4. Adam & Eve sinned by eating the fruit of what tree?
a. apple b. fig c. Tree of Life
d. Tree of the Knowledge of Good & Evil
5. After Cain killed his brother Abel, Adam & Eve had another son. What was his name?
a. Seth b. Jacob c. Enoch d. Ham
6. When God destroyed the world with the great flood, how many days did it rain?
a. 12 b. 40 c. 66 d. 150
7. At first, Abraham doubted that he would become the father of a great nation. Why?
a. God had never spoken to him before.
b. He and his wife were very old and had no children.
c. His only son was very rebellious and had rejected God.
d. The Bible doesn’t say.
8. When God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, who was turned into a pillar of salt because they looked back?
a. Abraham’s Nephew b. Lot c. Lot’s wife d. Sarah
9. Who was Jacob’s father?
a. Abraham b. Isaac c. Esau d. Abimelech
10. Why was it evident that Joseph was his father’s favorite son?
a. His father gave him a large herd of sheep and goats.
b. His father gave him a party on his 17th birthday.
c. His father gave him a beautiful coat.
d. The Bible just says that he was his favorite.
11. When God first called Moses to be his messenger, how did he speak to him?
a. through a burning bush
b. in a dream
c. through his brother, Aaron
d. through a great storm
12. How many plagues did God send upon Pharaoh and Egypt?
a. 5 b. 8 c. 10 d. 12
13. Which of the following was NOT one of the plagues that God sent upon Pharaoh and Egypt?
a. snakes b. gnats c. locusts d. hail
14. When the Israelites left Egypt, they escaped…
a. through the Hedron valley
b. over the Nile river
c. over Mount Sinau
d. through the Red Sea
15. In the wilderness, God fed the Israelites with…
a. manna & quail b. unleavened bread
c. wild animals like deer and rabbits d. pizza and tacos
16. While they were in the wilderness, the people sinned by making and worshiping...
a. a silver snake b. a golden calf c. a gold statue of Baal
d. a wooden likeness of an Egyptian god
17. The Israelites remembered the events that led to their release from Egypt with an annual observance known as:
a. The Atonement b. The Passover c. The Feast of the Sabbath
18. Who actually led the Israelites into the Promised Land?
a. Moses b. Jonathan c. Judah d. Joshua
19. Which of the following is the first of the Ten Commandments?
a. Do not worship any other gods besides me.
b. Do not misuse the name of the Lord your God.
c. Honor your father and mother.
d. Do not murder.
20. After the Israelites settled in the Promised Land, a system of local leaders was established. Their leaders were known as…
a. Judges b. Levites c. Governors d. Tribal chiefs
21. Samson was one of the strongest men who ever lived, but he would only keep his great strength as long as…
a. he ate only locust and wild honey
b. he never was with a woman
c. his hair was never cut
d. his hands were never tied with seven new bowstrings
22. The people of Israel wanted a king like all the other nations around them. Who was that first king?
a. Samuel b. Saul c. David d. Solomon
23. David killed a giant named…
a. Atlas b. Gabriel c. Goliath d. Gath
24. Who built the first temple in Jerusalem?
a. Abraham b. Moses c. David d. Solomon
25. In what book of the Bible will you find the words “The Lord is my shepherd; I have everything I need?”
a. Proverbs b. Psalms c. Daniel d. Job
26. David sinned with a woman named Bathsheba. What did he do?
a. He had her husband killed so he could marry her.
b. He stole land from her father.
c. He ignored the prophet’s warning about worshiping her idol gods.
d. The Bible doesn’t say.
27. When God offered to give Solomon anything that he wanted, what did he choose?
a. power b. great wealth c. peace for his Kingdom d. wisdom
28. In what book are the words “a gentle answer turns away wrath” found?
a. Lamentations b. Psalms c. Proverbs d. Isaiah
29. Why was Daniel thrown into the lion’s den?
a. The king’s wife falsely accused his of trying to hurt her.
b. The king wanted a dream interpreted but Daniel couldn’t do it.
c. The king arrested all Jews in his kingdom.
d. Daniel refused to pray to the king.
30. When Jonah tried to run from doing what the Lord wanted him to do, what happened?
a. He spent three days in the belly of a whale.
b. He spent three days in the belly of a great fish.
c. He was thrown in prison.
d. He became deaf and dumb.
31. Who did God test by taking away all of his property, his family and his good health?
a. Job b. Jehoshaphat c. Hosea d. Jeremiah
32. How many books are in the Old Testament?
a. 12 b. 24 c. 33 d. 39
33. What are the first four books of the Old Testament (in their correct order)?
a. Genesis, Exodus, Numbers and Deuteronomy
b. Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus and Numbers
c. Genesis, Exodus, Joshua and Ruth
d. Genesis, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy
34. What are the last four books in the Old Testament (in their correct order)?
a. Daniel, Hoseah, Joel and Amos
b. Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk and Zephaniah
c. Job, Psalms, Proverbs and Ecclesiastes
d. Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah and Malachi
35. The words “There is a time for everything, a season for every activity under heaven” are found in what book?
a. Psalms b. Proverbs c. Ecclesiastes d. Job
36. What book in the Bible begins with the words “In the beginning was the Word?”
a. Genesis b. Matthew c. John d. Revelation
37. Who was the Roman emperor when Jesus was born?
a. Julius Caesar b. Augustus c. Nero d. Herod the Great
38. Which books in the Bible tell about Jesus’ birth?
a. Genesis and Revelation b. Matthew, Mark, Luke and John
c. Matthew and Luke d. Isaiah, Micah and Obadiah
39. How many Wise Men came to visit baby Jesus?
a. 1 b. 3 c. 5 d. The Bible doesn’t say.
40. To what country did Joseph take his family to avoid Herod’s threats against baby Jesus’ life?
a. Egypt b. Ethiopia c. Samaria d. The Bible doesn’t say.
41. Before Jesus began his ministry, he was led into the desert where he was tempted three times by the devil. Which of the following was NOT one of these temptations?
a. to turn a stone into bread
b. to turn water into wine
c. to bow down and worship the devil
d. jump from the highest part of the temple
42. According to the book of Luke, what was Peter doing when Jesus called him to come and be one of his disciples?
a. He was planting crops in a field.
b. He was sitting by the side of the road.
c. He was on his way to bury his father.
d. He was washing fishing nets.
43. Matthew was another of Jesus’ disciples. What did he do before he was called to follow Jesus?
a. He was a tax collector.
b. He was a carpenter.
c. He was a fisherman.
d. He was a priest.
44. According to the book of John, what was Jesus’ first miracle?
a. feeding 5,000 people
b. turning water into wine
c. healing the Roman officer’s servant
d. raising the widow’s son from the dead
45. Jesus fed 5,000 men with a small boy’s lunch that consisted of…
a. 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish
b. 2 loaves of bread and 5 fish
c. a loaf of bread and a jug of wine
d. two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
46. The words “God blesses those whose hearts are pure, for they will see God” are a part of Jesus’ teaching that we today call the…
a. Sermon on the Mount
b. Sermon by the Lake
47. Who came to Jesus at night and was told “You must be born again?”
a. Judas b. Nicodemus c. The Samaritan Woman d. Lazarus
48. Which of the following was NOT one of Jesus’ disiples?
a. Philip b. Bartholomew c. Andrew d. Timothy
49. Who was too short to see Jesus as he passed by, so he climbed a sycamore tree to see him?
a. Lazarus b. James c. Zacchaeus d, Zebedee
50. When Peter denied knowing Jesus for the third time, what happened?
a. The sun came up. b. A rooster crowed.
c. He was struck blind. d. He was arrested.
51. What happened on the day that we now call Palm Sunday?
a. Jesus entered Jerusalem triumphantly.
b. Jesus secretly entered Jerusalem.
c. Jesus was betrayed into the hands of the Roman officials.
d. Jesus washed his disciples’ feet and dried them with palm branches.
52. On what day of the week was Jesus crucified?
a. Thursday b. Friday c. Saturday d. Sunday
53. In whose tomb was Jesus buried following his death on the cross?
a. Joseph of Arimathea b. Nicodemus c. Peter d. Simeon
54. Why did several women go to the tomb early on Sunday morning?
a. to pay their final respects to Jesus
b. to finish preparing Jesus’ body for proper burial
c. to see if his body was still there
d. The Bible doesn’t say.
55. Who was the disciple who doubted Jesus’ resurrection”
a. Peter b. John c. Andrew d. Thomas
56. Jesus’ final instructions to his disciples (and to us) before he left this earth – in which he said that we were to “go and make disciples” – is today called…
a. The Last Testament of Jesus Christ
b. The Atonement
c. The Great Commission
d. The Greatest Commandment
57. Who was the doctor who wrote one of the Gospels and the book of Acts?
a. Matthew b. Mark c. Luke d. John
58. How long after Jesus’ death did he ascend into heaven?
a. 12 days b. 40 days c. 66 days d. 120 days
59. The day when the Holy Spirit came upon the early Christian believers following Jesus’ ascension into heaven is known as..
a. Easter b. Ascension Day c. Purim d. Pentecost
60. Who was selected to replace Judas as a member of the Disciples?
a. Joseph b. Matthias c. Paul d. Timothy
61. Who had a life-changing vision of Jesus on the Road to Damascus?
a. Philip b. Saul c. Barnabas d. Stephen
62. Which of the following was NOT an early Christian missionary?
a. Paul b. Barnabas c. Timothy d. Ananias
63. Which of the following New Testament books did Paul NOT write?
a. Romans b. Galatians c. Timothy d. James
64. The book of Revelation was written by a man named John while he was in exile on what island?
a. Patmos b. Crete c. Smyrna d. Pergamum
65. What book of the Bible tells about the history of the early church and early missionary activities?
a. John b. Acts c. Galatians d. Revelation
66. “The Love Chapter” (which ends with the words, “There are three things that will endure – faith, hope and love – and the greatest of these is love.”) is a part of which New Testament book?
a. Romans b. 1 Corinthians c. 2 Corinthians d. Ephesians
67. The last two books in the New Testament are…
a. James and Revelation b. Titus and Revelation
c. Jude and Revelation d. John and Acts